Today my parents are celebrating their 48th Anniversary!!! They must be doing something right - so I have decided to share 10 things that I learned from them about marriage and hopefully I am doing some of them right.
1. Always go on dates. This is one of the first things that my parents told me when I got engaged to Bryant but I always remember them goin on Friday night dates. For a while it was to Pizza Hut and they went there so much that the waitresses knew their names. Later it was to Wendy's. It does not matter where you go, how much or little you spend - but go and spend time with the person who you love the most.
2. Arrive to church early. We always got to church between 20 to 30 minutes early and We sat up front in the chapel. Now in my own family, we get to churc early but we don't sit up front.
3. Make memories as families - i have a million memories from my childhood - we went on amazing vacations, drove across the united states to be with our cousins, and have gone to places like Herkimer Diamond mine (bust) and any warm beach (major hit) and can have fun at any of them because we were together as a family. Bryant and I have tried to do the same with our kids.
4. It's okay to kiss in front of your kids - I was embarrassed when I would see my parents kissing each other when I was growing up. Then I went to college to where I had a roommate who had never seen her parents even hold hands. It is good for kids to see you kiss so that they know that you love each other. I never doubted it with my parents and my kids will never doubt it with me and Bryant.
5. If one of you it being grouchy, it is okay to send them to their room. I still remember the time that Dad did this to mom. And Bryant has done it to me. There are times when we need to do it and later they will appreicate it - I know that I did.
6. Support each other - My parents always supported each other in things that they did, whether church stuff, work stuff of family stuff. That makes you a better person when you can do the things that you love/like/have to do and know that there is at least one person supporting you and cheering you on.
7. Serve each other - I recently heard that a person thought that my dad was sick because of the way that my mom takes care of him. That is what they do, they serve each other. Which kind of goes along with support each other. There are day when one seems to do more than the other but that is what is some great about marriage - there is only one score card and it is for the two of you.
8. Serve others - I can't even begin to count the number of people who have been served by my parents - whether by cinnamon rolls on birthdays, a place to sleep on the floor the night before Pageant started, being a cheerleader for someone who needs it. They have dedicated their lives to service of others ad hopefully as their child, I have learned a little bit by their example.
9. Don't talk bad about your spouse - I can't ever remember my parents saying bad things about each other. I think the worse was "Zot on you Bill" I hope that my kids can say the same things for me and Bryant.
10. Love each other - My parents love each other so much and they are an amazing example to me of love. I hope that when 36 more years go by and Bryant and I have reached our 48th wedding anniversary that we will be able to look at my parents and see even more things that they have taught me!
LOVE YOU MOM AND DAD!!!
7 years ago

1 comment:
Your parents are awesome! I have seen/experienced some of those items on your list. (cinnamon rolls!) Some were new, but not surprising knowing them. Happy 48th!
Post a Comment